Friday, July 23, 2010

7-23-10 Last email from the MTC!

7-23-10
Hello family!

So as you heard (before me apparently) I did not receive my visa yet and will be going to Birmingham Alabama. That's cool you talked to the mission president, and that will be awesome to have an assistant to the president as a companion! No one else in the MTC is going there that day, so I will travel in my own travel group, as my own "travel group leader", as the itinerary says. I am allowed to call from the airport, so I likely will call sometime Monday morning. And yes I would like someone to pick up some leftover stuff please, I'll leave a box Sunday night at the front desk, and Libby/Chris could pick it up I guess please. They could probably come Monday morning.

Yeah so anyways I'm a little disappointed I don't have my visa (54 people received them yesterday, many of whom have been out less time than me) but I'm still happy to finally leave here and go to the field where there are people who actually can benefit from our message! My companion and 2 other roommates are coincidentally the only ones in our district who didn't receive our visas. The 3 of them are going together to McAllen Texas, and they are all also [eventually] going to the same mission in Brazil (Joao Pessoa). The Sister going to Recife didn't receive her visa, and is being reassigned to Atlanta, Georgia. It should be interesting in the south, I will definitely have to change my planned teaching style and the way I respond to questions. Alabama's part of the Bible belt right? I think so. And yeah it will probably be similarly hot and humid to Recife, so I'll be used to it when I get to Brazil. It's going to be hard to keep up the language. I don't know if I will even get time for language study there, and I'll have no one to talk to. I'll probably be the only person in all of Alabama that speaks any Portuguese.

I've seen Elder Juker several times already, so that is nice. And I'm actually sitting by Elder Winslow right now (he has P-day today also). Hopefully we can get a picture with the three of us together by the temple Sunday.

This week hasn't been too exciting other than that. We had a few really good teaching appointments, along with one of my all-time worsts. We haven't heard from General authorities lately because apparently they all get the month of July off.

Dad- Thanks for the email. Yes I have totally found that the Spirit helps us teach. Sometimes I don't know where I'm going when I start talking but it works out, and other times I'll feel like I should go one direction with the lesson and my companion is talking and he leads into that same direction. We invite people to get baptized in every lesson we teach, after telling them why it is important. Sometimes it's a direct commitment, and sometimes more like, "If/when you come to know these things are true by the power of prayer and the Holy Ghost, will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by proper authority for forgiveness of your sins?" Or something like that.

Alright well goodbye!
Love
Elder Hooke

No comments:

Post a Comment