Monday, March 21, 2011

3-21-11 Baptism of Jailson, Staying in Ponte with Elder Halvorsen, English class, District Leader

21 March 2011


This last week was a good one. We were able to have the baptism of Jailson and everything went really well. It was perfect, he just showed up at church 2 weeks ago, we started teaching him, he went last week and met everyone, kept teaching without really having any obstacles to overcome, and now he’s baptized and confirmed. He’s a cool guy, 20 years old, and has been very well received in the ward.  I was able to baptize him and it was a really nice experience.  I made brownies again for his baptism and everyone was asking me for the recipe! I think I wrote it for like 5 people that night.

Today is transfers, but I stayed in Ponte Dos Carvalhos with Elder Halvorsen. I will be his last companion (he goes home after this transfer). I got a phone call just now and found out that I am our new district leader... Just our companionship, the companionship in Escada which is now Elder Mesquita and a new Elder he will train, and the LZs (Elder Cabreira and Labrum, Elder Wells was transferred).

The English class is going really well. We called the president and told him about it and about the area and that is probably why he didn’t transfer either of us. Last week we had several random people show up at the English class. I really like teaching English. The majority of the people here have already learned at least a little, but they usually pronounce everything very wrong. Even the teachers in school here teach English wrong- I’ve seen some assignments and stuff and the teachers don’t even know how to speak English (very basic mistakes). So it is nice for them to be taught by someone who speaks the language. We had about 12-15 people in the class on Friday, and separated into two classes (I taught the new people and Elder Halvorsen taught those who have been going or know more).

Last night we were starving and normally we buy snacks for dinner on the street but it was Sunday, so we got home and looked at the ingredients we had. I threw sugar, flour, a little bit of hot cocoa mix, and oil in a pan and cooked it. It was like really gross brownies, so we went over to the member lady who lives behind us and she made us delicious cuzcuz with sausage and vegetables. It was cool because we thought we were gonna be going hungry but she told us never to go to bed hungry, so we took her up on it.

We are doing family nights with lots of people in the ward. We have 3 planned for this week, and we did 2 last week. They are fun because Elder Halvorsen and I always make an interesting message and after play a game and eat cake or something.

Well, you’ll have to ask me questions if you want more information, I don’t know what to say!! [Jon didn't receive my email again, but I caught him while he was still at the computer and told him I'd resend it...]

Love
Elder Hooke

No comments:

Post a Comment