Monday, February 21, 2011

2-21-11 Éllen's baptism {PHOTO}/ Elder Halvorsen's a great guy!

[Lori wrote: So how are you doing??    I hope this letter finds you in good health and good spirits, and with the Spirit.]
Hello family, yes I am in good health and somewhat good spirit with the Spirit, I hope. This week was another load of disappointments and good stuff mixed.

 We were able to have the baptism of Éllen, a funny little 9 year old girl. She has been going to church for a long time with her neighbor, and we talked with her, arranged the baptism, reviewed all the things she needs to know before baptism throughout the week, and had a really good baptism on Saturday night (although it started about an hour late! that's the way of things here) But it was really cool-- the Spirit was there and many of Éllen's nonmember family members were there (mom, aunts,and gramma). We have taught her mom too (she only lives with her mom) but she has no desire now. At least she let Éllen choose for herself and Éllen has another woman to bring her to church every week. But anyways it was cool after the baptism we ate brownies I had made and a chocolate brigadeiro cake that Claudia (Éllen's neighbor) made. Everyone liked the brownies and wants the recipe. It was a recipe from Elder Wells, super easy. Anyways she got confirmed at church on Sunday, and besides that, church was just like last week. just One man went, Claudio, but he doesn't understand our message. We have explained it as clearly as can be but he still believes our message, and every other religion, is true. And everyone else didn't go. It's really disappointing, but like you will say later in this email getting angry about it doesn't do any good. But we are allowed to be disappointed/devastated, Jeffrey R Holland said so.
But anyways I am happier now because I really like my comp. Elder Halvorsen is a really cool guy and he is a very good person. He has only 2 months left on the mission, and but still wants to help people a lot. He has a girlfriend waiting for him, but I think it helps his mission because he always stays happy no matter what happens on the mission, thinking "oh well in 2 months I'll be home with Marie and my family so whatever". But we get along well and we are always laughing so it is good. We are co-seniors, and so it is like it should be, we work as equals, and it works because usually he likes to leave the house and teach a lot and stuff.
So yeah many things during the week were disappointing, but we had  lot of comic relief! like that picture I sent of Éllen, for example haha. [we weren't able to open the picture, unfortunately]

 YEAH I LOVE SOME PEOPLE HERE, BUT I'LL ADMIT IT IS HARD TO LOVE SOME ASPECTS OF THE CULTURE HERE. WELL SOME ASPECTS SHOULDN'T BE LOVED I SUPPOSE.
WELL AT LEAST I CAN ALWAYS KNOW THAT WHATEVER HAPPENS, I'M DOING WHAT I FEEL IS RIGHT IN THE WAY THAT I FEEL IS RIGHT, AND IT IS THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE HERE MISUSING THEIR AGENCY THAT IS THE LIMITING FACTOR. BUT YEAH THERE ARE MANY GREAT PEOPLE HERE IN THIS CITY AND I HAVE FAITH THAT WE WILL BE ABLE TO FIND SOME OF THEM. SO KEEP UP THE PRAYERS AND STUFF, HAVE A GOOD WEEK AND KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU GUYS!
ELDER HOOKE

No comments:

Post a Comment